Clear the Air, Riverside!
The City of Riverside is committed to taking actions to help our city become clean, green, and more sustainable, and your widespread support and actions help make a difference. Sustainable Riverside is built on the pillars of:
Ecosystem, Climate, and Infrastructure
Inclusivity, Diversity, and Equity
Quality of Place, Resiliency, and Innovation
While there are many actions all of us can take to move the needle towards Riverside’s sustainable future, this month we celebrate California Clean Air Day on October 6th. We encourage our residents to take the Clean Air Day Pledge to learn and commit to actions that help Clear the Air in our community.
Why is Clean Air so Important?
A special message from Mayor Patricia Lock Dawson regarding the importance of clean air for our Riverside community.
Clean air is air that has no harmful levels of pollutants in it. Since we all breathe to live, it is important to understand air quality and how air pollution directly impacts our community’s health.
The Greenhouse Effect
Although some air pollution comes from natural sources, most air pollution results from human activities. For example, greenhouse gases, like carbon dioxide (CO2), trap heat in the atmosphere and are created by the burning of fossil fuels for things like transportation and industrial processes. CO2 is naturally present in the atmosphere as part of the Earth's carbon cycle, but human activities are altering the carbon cycle–both by adding more CO2 to the atmosphere, and by influencing the ability of natural sinks, like forests and soils, to remove and store CO2 from the atmosphere.
What can you do to clear the air?
- Choose alternative transportation – Walk, ride a bike, take public transportation, or carpool when possible.
- Check out the Riverside Go Transit Program that provides discounts to City of Riverside residents on select RTA bus passes.
- Learn all about the City of Riverside Bikeways and Bicycle Program
- Limit idling your vehicle to no more than 30 seconds.
- Stay up-to-date on your vehicle’s maintenance.
- If you’re in the market for a new vehicle, Electrify Your Ride! Check out everything EV by visiting: http://riversidepublicutilities.com/residents/ev.asp
- Place a single online order instead of multiple small online purchases to cut down on shipping emissions.
- Shop Riverside. Shopping locally reduces your commute and buying locally-grown produce reduces freight emissions.
- Skip the fumes on toxic products and go with natural cleaning products.
- Use environmentally safe paints.
- Make the switch to Go Paperless with your Riverside Public Utilities bill. Get started today: https://www.riversideca.gov/press/clear-clutter-and-help-environment-go-paperless
- Switch to electric gardening tools versus gasoline powered equipment.
- Go solar and power your home or business with renewable energy.Learn more about going solar by visiting: http://riversidepublicutilities.com/solar/default.asp
- Plant a tree and take advantage of the Tree Power Program to add shade and green to your landscaping.
- Reduce your overall energy consumption through energy efficient products and habits. Reducing your energy usage reduces the demand for fossil fuels burned in power plants and, in turn, lower the levels of carbon dioxide in the atmosphere. View Riverside Public Utilities Energy Rebates at RiversidePublicUtilities.com/Rebates
- Reduce or eliminate fireplace and wood stove usage.
- Avoid burning leaves, trash, and other materials.
- Reduce, Reuse, and Recycle to divert waste from landfills. Learn about all programs and information related to disposal, recycling, and composting by visiting: https://www.riversideca.gov/publicworks/trash/
Take the Clean Air Day Pledge
We all have a role to play to support clean air in our community. Take the Clean Air Day Pledge NOW and commit to actions that support clean air for Riverside! Small changes make a difference.
Learn about air quality, fires, and your health by visiting:
Air Quality, Fires, and Your Health
Receive Sustainable Riverside updates right to your inbox: