Mylar Balloons Cause Thousands of Outages Every Year
Mylar balloons are the metallic shiny, silver-like balloons which cause thousands of power outages each year when they float away and come into contact with power lines.
Although these balloons are fun and festive, especially for celebrations, it is extremely important to handle these balloons properly and ensure they do not get released into the air. If loose balloons come into contact with power lines, they can cause explosions, power outages, downed power lines, and much more that can result in extremely dangerous risks to public safety.
If you spot any mylar balloons tangled in a power line or tree, call RPU at (951) 782-0330. Please provide us the specific location.
- Keep balloons indoors
- Metallic balloons should always be secured with weights as required by California law
- Never attach metallic streamers to balloons
- Balloons should never be released outdoors
- When disposing of the balloons, puncture them to release the helium, which prevents them from flying away
- Do not try to retrieve balloons tangled in power lines or electrical equipment
Keep Your Balloons Happy. Keep Them Away From Power Lines