Riverside Public Utilities Notifies Consumers of Flex Alert
FORECAST HIGH HEAT AND SOUTHERN CALIFORNIA POWER SUPPLY UPDATE
The California Independent System Operator Corporation (ISO) has issued a statewide Flex Alert to alert consumers of the need to conserve electricity from 5:00 pm to 9:00 pm on Tuesday July 24th and Wednesday July 25th.
As Riverside has experienced a hot July and is expected to have another week of triple digit temperatures this week, RPU is calling on all customers to conserve where possible.
This year, it is especially important to conserve energy because of the limited availability of natural gas from the SoCal Gas' Aliso Canyon natural gas storage facility. Gas from this facility is used to generate electricity in the region.
RPU joins the ISO in asking all consumers to take the following actions:
- Set thermostats no lower than 78 degrees
- Use electric fans instead of air conditioning when practical
- Turn off unused appliances and equipment
- Close drapes or blinds to keep out direct sunlight during the heat of the day
- Shut off lights in unoccupied space
- Operate energy-intensive equipment during early morning or at night
- Avoid using evaporative coolers or humidifiers when an air conditioner is running
- When possible, shift power-intensive work processes to off-peak times
For more information on the California Independent System Operator Corporation (ISO) Flex Alert, please visit http://www.flexalert.org/.
For additional updates, follow RPU on Twitter at www.mobile.twitter.com/rpunews, on Facebook at www.facebook.com/RiversidePublicUtilities/ or visit the Energy Providers of Southern California website at http://conserveenergysocal.com/.