Wards & Neighborhoods
Andy Melendrez was elected to serve as Councilmember for Ward 2 in January 2006 and is now serving his second term on the Council. In 1982, he established Innovative Vocational Services, a company that specializes in Career Development for injured workers. Over the past 30 years he has expanded its operations to include expert testimony, family law evaluations, early intervention services for the California Department of Corrections and Rehabilitation, career guidance and assessments for workers within the workers compensations system.
Councilmember Andy Melendrez is a lifelong resident of Riverside. He is very involved and concerned with the success, safety and progress of the area covered by Ward 2 as well as the City of Riverside. He is dedicated to his service on the Council and his door is always open. Councilmember Melendrez regularly attends Neighborhood Group meetings such as: University Neighborhood Group, Eastside Neighborhood Forum, Lincoln Park Neighborhood Group and Sycamore Highlands Community Action Group.
Councilmember Melendrez was reelected in June of 2009, by the residents of Ward 2, to serve the community for another four year term.
Work closely with UCR Medical School to secure funding for a 2013 Fall semester opening
Continue development along University Avenue
Open the first City of Riverside Music School
Focus on finding a company to refurbish the FMC Building located behind the Metrolink Station
Continue work on refurbishing small business sites on Park Street
Focus continued services at the Youth Opportunity Center for youth ages 13-19
Create a Habitat Interpretive Center at Sycamore Canyon Wilderness Park
Focus on International Trade opportunities in the Sycamore Canyon Industrial Park
Create greater retail opportunities in the Canyon Crossing retail center
Work to improve and develop a community retail shopping area in the University Neighborhood at the corner of Big Springs Road and Watkins Avenue
- Cesar Chavez Community Center improvements
- Artificial turf field, Skate Park, improvements to the auditorium, installation of elevator at and improvements to classrooms on the second floor of the Chavez Center for a music program
- Secured funding for interpretive center at Sycamore Canyon Park
- Secured grant funding for a playground at Bobby Bonds Park
- Fire Station 13 located on Sycamore Canyon
- Fire Station 14 located on Central
- RPU Water completed the 16 million gallon Evans Reservoir replacement project and placed it in service.
- RPU Water replaced 3,300 feet of the 16-inch Canyon Crest inch Water Transmission Main along Canyon Crest Drive between Martin Luther King Boulevard and El Cerrito Drive.
- RPU Water relocated the 14th Street Pressure Reducing Station in conjunction with the 91 freeway widening project.
- RPU Water relocated 350 feet of 12-inch Well Blow-off waterline in Vine Street south of 10th Street in conjunction with the 91 freeway widening project.
- RPU Water completed approximately 1,100 feet of 12-inch irrigation line in Vine Street south of University Avenue.
- RPU Water replaced approximately 10,350 feet of aging 8 and 12-inch potable water pipelines.
- ARRA Energy Grant - All signalized intersections – upgrade illuminated signs to reflective material, November 2011
- All signalized intersections – upgraded pedestrian indications to new countdown indications, November 2011
- Lochmoor: Devron to Central – traffic study and installed bike lanes / safety features - June 2011
- Victoria: Fourteenth to Woodbine – restriping project, January 2010
- Fourteenth @ EB 91 Fwy Entrance Ramp – installed dual left turn lanes, May 2009
- Added neighborhood calming devices on 30 streets within Ward
- Installed 15 miles of class II on street bike lanes ( Iowa, Linden, Canyon Crest, University, Blaine, 3rd )
- Coordinated/retimed all signals on all major arterials streets within Ward
- Completion of single family homes on Georgia Street
City Council Policy Committees
- Public Safety Committee - Vice Chair
- Mayor's Nominating and Screening Committee - Member
- Transportation Committee - Member
- Member of March Air Reserve Base Joint Powers Commission
- Member of Riverside County Habitat Conservation Agency
- Member of Riverside Transit Agency Board of Directors
- Member of Western Riverside County Regional Conservation Authority
- Alternate Member of Riverside County Transportation Commission