City of Riverside Fire Department
The City of Riverside Fire Department (RFD) is a premier, all-risk/full-service municipal fire department serving over 325,000 residents and a student population of approximately 60,000. Our 210 career firefighters respond to over 38,589 calls annually, deployed out of 14 fire stations strategically spanning Riverside’s 81.4 square miles. We take great pride in our 125 year history of exceptional professionalism, excellent customer service and commitment to innovation. Highly motivated, public service minded individuals are strongly encouraged to apply to become part of the RFD family. Contact recruitment for more information.
- Highly competitive
- Family atmosphere
- The distinction of being able to claim the title of “Firefighter” with the City of Riverside Fire Department
- Excellent physical conditioning and training throughout your career
- 14 Stations
- 2 Battalions
- State of the Art Training Facility
- Paramedic Program
- 14 Engines
- 3 Tiller Trucks
- 4 ATV's
- 1 Patrol
- 3 Rescue Squads
- 2 Brush Engines
- 2 Water Tenders
- 1 Haz Mat Unit
- 1 Breathing Support
- 1 Heavy Rescue
- 1 Water Rescue
- 3 Cal-OES Engines
- Five Divisions
- Completion of the twelfth grade OR equivalent
- Completion of a California State Fire Marshal accredited Fire Academy OR two years of full-time paid experience as a Firefighter with a municipal department
- Possession of a valid class “C” California Motor Vehicle Operator’s License
- Possession of a valid American Heart Association Health Care Provider OR Red Cross Professional Rescuers Certification
- Possession of a valid Emergency Medical Technician (EMT) card OR Possession of a valid paramedic license at the time of application. Candidates must provide proof of a valid California State EMT certification or paramedic license prior to the first day of employment.
- Possession of a certified candidate (CPAT) certificate OR Biddle physical agility test certificate within six months of application.
- Find out more about becoming a Firefighter.
- Fill out an interest card.
Become a Firefighter
Interested in becoming a firefighter? See below to get started. Or view the printable PDF.
Cost $150 for 2 orientations & timed test or $25/Practice Test
Register online at FCTCOnline.org
|FCTC – Orange||(877) 648-2728|
|FCTC – San Diego||(877) 648-2728|
|Oxnard College (FCTC Issues Certificate)||(805) 384-8109|
|FREE Candidate Assistance Program – LA City Fire
Become an EMT & consider Paramedic
Paramedics are in HIGH DEMAND
|Link 2 Life||Link2Life.org||(949) 643-2048|
|EMSTA College||EMSTACollege.com||(619) 593-6782|
|SD Miramar EMT||SDMiramarEmt.org||(619) 221-2142|
Enroll in Community College
Meet with an academic advisor to plan your educational goals
Obtain Firefighter 1 Academy Certificate - Consider A.A. Degree
|Colleges with FF1 Academy and EMT Programs||Address||City, State, Zip|
|Riverside Community College||4800 Magnolia Avenue||Riverside, CA 92506|
|Crafton Hills College||11711 San Canyon Drive||Yucaipa, CA 92399|
|Mt. San Antonio College||1100 North Grand Avenue||Walnut, CA 91789|
|Santa Ana College||1530 W. 17th Street||Santa Ana, CA 92706|
|Rio Hondo College||3600 Workman Mill Road||Whittier, CA 90601|
|El Camino College||16007 Crenshaw Boulevard||Torrance, CA 90506|
|Palomar College||1140 West Mission Road||San Marcos, CA 92069|
|Miramar College||10440 Black Mountain Road||San Diego, CA 92126|
|Victor Valley College||18422 Bear Valley Road||Victorville, CA 92395|
E-mail JoinRFD@RiversideCA.gov for questions/comments regarding joining RFD.