Thanks for tuning in to Episode 3 of Riverside RULES, "The Real Pioneers of Riverside County!" We hope that you enjoyed this information and that it has inspired you to learn more. Below are the resources that we used to research for this episode.
UCR California Digital Newspaper Collection: The Gage Canal System of Riverside
If you are a teacher and would like to use this as part of your lesson, we have included some recommended questions as well.
1. What does RL&I stand for?
2. What fruit did Riverside grow a lot of?
3. What was the name of the river mentioned in the video?
4. Name one of the pioneers mentioned in the video.
5. What’s the mayor’s name?
Junior High Level
1. What are the names of the founders of Riverside Land & Irrigation Co.?
2. What year was the election for Riverside City Incorporation?
3. Who built their own canal located at the UCR Citrus Experiment Station?
4. What street does the upper canal that John North extended run on?
5. What two things upset land owners that made them create Citizens Water co.?
High School Level
1. What role has water access played in the formation of our city – boundaries, utility structure and otherwise?
2. Does public sentiment have the same influence that it did in Riverside’s early history? How is it the same? How is it different?
3. How did the adoption of a charter change the way water is provided to Riverside’s constituents?
4. Were water conservation efforts considered to be as important in the early 20th century as they are now? Why or why not?