Earth Month 2022
Happy Earth Month Riverside! Since 1970, Earth Day and Earth Month have been a time where people all over the world come together to learn about protecting the planet and our environment. This year we’ll be focusing on the importance of HEALTHY SOIL!
Soil is the foundation and backbone of sustainable food, water, and air. Soil is a living system that hosts a quarter of our planet’s biodiversity and plays many critical roles in our ecosystem such as:
- Provides plants and roots with nutrients, minerals, and water
- Supports water infiltration and retention
- Promotes carbon sequestration in both living plants and the organic matter created as they decompose
- Provides critical habitat for animals, organisms, insects and more
- Filters and biodegrates many pollutants which improves water and air quality
- Serves as the foundation to the infrastructure we depend upon daily
WHAT CAN YOU DO TO IMPROVE SOIL HEALTH FOR THE ENVIRONMENT?
Whether through your garden, lawn, or potted plants, you can make a difference in how plants and soil interact to improve soil health so that it can perform its critical role on earth.
- Grasscycle - Leave mowed grass on the lawn and apply less fertilizers. Over-applied fertilizer pollutes groundwater and surface water.
- Plant perennials – Plants that live longer accumulate
- Apply mulch – The biggest source of water pollution is eroded soil and the pesticides and nutrients it carries. Reduce erosion by applying mulch to exposed soil.
- Covering soil helps reduce erosion, conserves moisture, and supplies nutrients to the soil.
- Less erosion means less pesticides and nutrients entering our streams, rivers, and ocean.
- Avoid harsh chemicals and pesticides. Dispose of motor oil and other wastes properly.
- Compost and add organic matter such as the materials below to enrich the soil and improve its structure:
- Food scraps
- Grass clippings
- Pruned branches
- Coffee grinds
- Plant trees to secure topsoil and prevent soil erosion. Take advantage of the Tree Power Program offered to Riverside Public Utilities customers
- Visit a local farm, farmers market and community garden
- Get Involved
The more CO2 is stored in the soil as organic matter, the better for the climate, our water, and the air. Keeping this finite resource healthy is vital to life on earth.
EARTH MONTH EVENTS
Earth Day Event
Dig Into Soil Health
April 23, 2022 • 11 AM – 3 PM
- Kids activities and demonstrations
- Learn how to keep your soil healthy and clean
- Tips on how you can do your part to protect our environment
Ask a Master Gardener
April 2, 2022
9:00 AM – 12:00 PM
UCR Botanic Gardens Online Spring Plant Sale
April 3, 2022
6:00 AM – 12:00 AM
Spring 2022 Growers Forum
April 7, 2022
8:00 AM – 1:00 PM
Earth Day Themed Preschool Storytime & Craft
April 19, 2022
9:30 AM – 10:30 AM
Ms. Amy’s Crafting Corner - Earth Day Craft with Recycled Materials
April 20, 2022
3:00 PM – 4:00 PM
Dig Into Soil Health – Earth Day Event
April 23, 2022
11:00 AM - 3:00 PM
UCR Geological Expo at Orange Terrace Library
April 26, 2022
12:00 PM – 2:00 PM
Riverside Insect Fair
April 30, 2022
10:00 AM – 4:00 PM
EARTH MONTH FOR KIDS
Interested in some more Read Aloud books? Check out www.RiversidePublicUtilities.com/Education.
BE A SOIL HERO
Take the soil quest and learn how you can become a part of the solution as a Soil Hero.
EARTH MONTH RESOURCES
Learn about Green waste and how you can use it to help keep your yard and garden growing strong.
Learn about the RPU Tree Power Program and tips about planting your tree.
Learn about the Land Use Learning Center.
Learn about the Inland Urban Forest Council and tips for pruning and watering trees.